MhAX Blog with Nick Costello
Evangelist, youth communicator, school assembly speaker, seminar and conference speaker Nick Costello tackles issues facing youth and young adults.
Nick Costello has experienced the glamorous rock star life millions of teens only dream about. Success didn't fulfill his search for inner peace, security and purpose in life. His bad attitude and fast lane lifestyle of sex, drugs, rock and roll nearly destroyed him. One night, Nick surrendered his life to Jesus Christ. God miraculously redeemed and transformed his life.
Today, he ministers as an evangelist, youth communicator, school assembly speaker, seminar and conference speaker. He's calling christians of all ages to an uncompromising walk of obedience to Christ. In public schools, he's equipping kids to make healthy, right life choices. Respected leaders say he's a "dynamic, relevant, passionate, challenging, inspiring communicator!
Visit Nick's website
- Published on Thursday, 04 April 2013 13:42
- Written by Nick Costello
God desires we walk in holiness and godliness. It's a decision every Christian needs to make. The Apostle Paul taught, "Do not be conformed to this world, this age, fashioned after and adapted to its external, superficial customs, but be transformed, changed by the entire renewal of your mind, by its new ideals and its new attitude. (Romans 12:1,2 AMP) Basically, we are to think like God thinks, live like God desires and be like Jesus, not like the lost world around us. We copy Jesus, not the lost world. God says, "Hate what is evil, cling to what is good." (Romans 12:9 NIV) "Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things." (Col. 3:1,2 NIV) Do you hate the evil God hates and love what he loves? How about your music and entertainments? If it's full of the evil and ungodliness God hates, you should hate it, too. It's an ungodly earthly thing that isn't from heaven above. God says don't give it your attention or let your heart and mind find pleasure in it. God doesn't give us commands to stay away from some things that are off limits for Christians. He isn't trying to make life misearble. He knows what has the potential to corrupt you, pollute your heart and mind and draw you away from living a godly and holy life. Is your heart and mind pure? It won't be if you fill it with the ungodly filth this world offers through music, entertainments, books, magazines, video games etc. You can be saved and participate in these things, but you grieve the heart of God and open the door of your heart and mind to your arch enemy the devil. Disobedience opens the door of your heart and mind to Satan. Obedience to God shuts the door on the devil and sets you up to enjoy all God has for you. God promises inner joy, peace, blessings and happiness for those who obey him. I am not saying God won't bless you to some extent because he is full of mercy and grace. But, I do believe you will not experience the full Christian life God has for you when you choose to honor and obey him. Your choices to disobey will make your road to heaven pretty bumpy. We obey God because we love Him, not because we want to simply follow him because he says so. "Happy are people of integrity who follow the law of the Lord. happy are those who obey his decrees and search for him with all their hearts. They do not compromise with evil and they walk only in his paths." (Psalm 119:1-3 NLT) God says when you stay away from bad company, sin, evil and wickedness and do what he desires, you will be happy and blessed. You're blessed when you meditate on God's Word and allow his Word to shape your thinking and life. Do you need to change the way you think and act today? Do you need to get your mind more focused on God? Ask him to help you and he will give you all the grace you need to do so.
- Published on Monday, 18 February 2013 20:51
- Written by Nick Costello
We live in a society where when it comes to sex, anything goes, with anyone, anytime, anywhere and anyway. This is a sex-crazed society. The Bible says, "Marriage should be honored by all, and the marriage bed kept pure, for God will judge the adulterer and all the sexually immoral." (Heb. 13:4 NIV) God says NO sex until after you're married. Disobey and there will be a price to pay. There's some horrifying, life-changing consequences for practicing sex before you're married. The price teenagers are paying today for a few short moments of risky pleasure are: unwanted pregnancy, lingering emotional scars, fear, guilt, contracting an STD or AIDS, heartbreak, embarrassment, rejection, feelings of being cheap or used and the list goes on. It's foolish to take chances. It's worth it to wait! here are a few guidelines to help you honor and obey God.
1. Write out your decision to abstain from sex until marriage. post it where you see it every day.
2. Stay away from friends engaging in sexual activity.
3. Stay away from sexually orientated entertainments, music, books, magazines
4. tame your tongue. Don't talk dirty or talk sex talk.
5. Don't allow someone to manipulate you for their own selfish pleasure. if they love you they will honor your decision to abstain.
6. "I love you," doesn't mean it's okay to have sex with someone.
7. Be careful how you dress. Be modest. Don't show your goods off to the opposite sex.
8. Check out your date. Date someone who wants to abstain, too.
9. Don't be a flirt.
10. Stay away from drugs and alcohol. They deaden your ability to resist unwanted advances
11. Set strict limits on your sexual activity and stick to them.
12. Girls... make your intentions clear to the opposite your body is off limits and you're saving yourself for the one you'll marry and after you're married.
13. Guys... treat girls with respect, kindness and gentleness. Be a man of integrity, honor, respect and compassion for the way you treat women. They aren't sex objects.
14. If you choose to date, don't put yourself in an environment which offers you privacy to fool around. date in groups and in public.
15. Don't assume sex outside marriage is harmless fun. It's not.
16. Don't give into peer pressure. keep a good self image. take a stand for what God desires, not your friends.
17. It's normal and okay to be a virgin.
18. If you've blown it, make a new commitment to stop having sex. Start over and mean it. Get accountability.
19. It's a lie that condoms are not 'safe'.
20. The only guaranteed safe sex is to wait until after you are married.
- Published on Tuesday, 15 January 2013 10:17
- Written by Nick Costello
When I was a kid learning to swim I was assigned a buddy. My instructor called it the 'Buddy System'. If I got into trouble, my buddy was there to help me stay afloat and not drown. Every Christian needs to have a buddy to help them stay afloat in the rough ocean of life, especially during high school and college years. The pressure to conform to what the lost world offers is huge. Resisting peer pressure is very difficult. You need a buddy to help you navigate safely through the the waves of peer pressure that churn at you.
As we continue to look at the lives of Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego Daniel Chapter 3, we know they faced pressure to bow down and worship the king's gold statue of face death in the blazing furnace. My best guess is that they stood strong because they encouraged each other. Maybe, they reminded each other of scripture that spoke of God's faithfulness to deliver them, sang some worship songs together, prayed to God together or simply encouraged each other to be strong in the Lord and the power of His might.
Do you have a buddy like that? They are strong Christians who love Jesus. They're invaluable. They help you stay strong when you are weak, hang in there when the going gets tough, encourage you to persevere and believe God for an answer to your prayer, to not give up trusting the Lord, to help you resist sin and simply come alongside and walk with you through your Christian life. You need a buddy! I thank God for the buddies I have.
A Christian buddy can help you say NO to compromise with God. Perhaps you have some good friends. Maybe they're not a Christian. If not, sometimes they probably will not understand why you say NO to doing things you know aren't right for a Christian. A good Christian friend will support you and understand. What is a good friend? They won't put pressure on you to do something you know is wrong or unhealthy for you. They won't be silent when they see you walking in some sin. They will care about you, love you no matter what and be there for you when you need them, be honest with you, won't gossip about you and pray with or for you. If you don't have a good Christian buddy, ask God to give you one! Lone ranger Christians run a high risk of sinking under the rough seas of life no matter how strong they may be in the Lord.